The old Parish of Kilroot was linked to the Parish of Carrickfergus in January 1916. There had been a church school in Eden village since 1836.
A brand new school was opened in 1929 and the old school building began to be used for church activities and weekly services began in 1930.
In 1946 a parishioner Mrs Jenny Hodkinson became caretaker, a role which she would carry out faithfully right up until the final use of the hall and its closure in 1971.
The hall was used for Sunday school and each Sunday a service of Evening Prayer would be held. There was lots of enjoyment and fun at the annual Sunday school Christmas parties when the Curates would organise the various games and festivities.
Kilroot parishioners would join with the Carrickfergus congregation to go on the annual Sunday school trip to Portrush by steam train and in later years to Bangor by bus, with tea, sandwiches and other refreshments provided by local parishioners at Ballyholme.
Each year book tokens for attendance were awarded which could be redeemed for books or other items at Bell’s shop in Carrickfergus.
With the growth in housing in Carrickfergus in the sixties it was felt that a new building in the Eden area would best serve the needs of the parishioners in the east of the parish. Land was acquired at Downshire and on Friday evening 10th December 1971 a service of dedication took place for a new church hall which would become the Parish centre of worship in the area.
Dedicated to St. Colman, a link was made with the ancient Kilroot Church which was first established back in the 6th century. 40 years on from this new beginning, through various ongoing changes and after much hard work over the ensuing years, there has emerged a vibrant and modern church community.
We would love to know how you feel about our website, please browse all sections and if you have any suggestions or just thoughts on the site please email email@example.com